David Essel, author of Positive Thinking Won’t Change Your Mind But This Book Will, gives us his best advice on how to deal with holiday loneliness this season.
Robin Perry Braun talks about habits and how we can successfully change our habits this New Year.
How do people be successful at making real changes/new years resolutions?
- More than 90% of new years resolutions don’t work.
- We are wired to make changes in small increments not big leaps
- We have to wire new neural pathways and extinguish old ones to really change
- We have to reinforce this in our thinking not just our behavior.
- We have to keep it up for a period of time to reinforce the new neural pathways
- Use your imagination to visualize you making the new change and use five senses and feel good doing the new behavior. Practice this every day as you make the change.
- Accountability too is a good way to get through the difficult parts of shifting.