Today we talk with Maura Davies about fall holiday pet treats, we talk with Dr. Mike Fenster about eggplant parmigiana, we talk with Shawn Wells and Daniel Tague about the “Ketogenic Bible“, and we talk with Stephanie Toupes about household chemicals.
Maura Davies, VP of Communications at the North Texas SPCA talks about fall holiday pet treats. Here are some recipes to enjoy this season with your furry friends!
Pumpkin Frozen Yogurt Bites
- You don’t need a pumpkin ice cube tray for these, but they’re so darn cute we highly recommend it!
- Mix 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt, 1⁄2 cup of canned pumpkin puree, and 1⁄4 cup of water. Fill the tray, freeze, and give to your pet to enjoy!
Sweet Potato Chews
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Thoroughly wash a few large sweet potatoes and cut them lengthwise into 1⁄2 inch strips. Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake the strips for 3 to 4 hours, depending on preferred crunchiness.
- You and your pup can share these treats – though you might prefer a bit of seasoning on yours!
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting
- You can make all sorts of fall-themed doggie cupcakes and cookies, but what’s the fun without the frosting?
- Blend together 4 oz. of room temperature cream cheese with 3 teaspoons of canned pureed pumpkin until creamy. Use a frosting knife, spatula or piping bag to decorate your dog treats.
You already know chocolate is bad for pets, but did you know pumpkin is great for both dogs and cats? Here are some facts about pumpkin and pets!
Canned pureed pumpkin is a great low-calorie treat, but stay away from pumpkin pie filling as it is filled with various spices and lots of sugar.
Pumpkin contains vitamins A, C, and E as well as alpha carotene (antioxidant), iron, calcium, potassium and lutein (supports healthy skin, eyes & coat).
Pumpkin has lots of fiber, so it can help your pet with weight control, constipation, diarrhea, and even hairballs!
We talk with Stephanie Toupes about household cleaners and chemicals/plastics.
Here are a few questions Stephanie answers:
- What are some of the most common offenders?
- What are some better choices?
- What are some of the issues associated with using conventional cleaning products?